金曜日, 8月 10, 2007

Velvet Hammer

In many cases dealing with new software is like coming to grips with a type of catastrophic loss and the change it entails. It's a common theme when dealing with computer users and while some rejoice at the new prospects of what new software might offer, others just need some time to adjust to cope and go through the grieving process - saying good bye to the software they have come to love and trust.

They are not alone - I love playing with new software, but things like the OS or other key bits of software are hard to give up. (it doesn't stop me from trying them out, but I need to hang on to that safety blanket for a bit - just to be sure if it all goes to crap I have an escape route.)

Recently in order to keep up with our user's desire to try and get access to use the new Vista OS I've had the opportunity to try it out on my main office computer.

The system has always run XP Pro fine - and although the move from 2k to XP wasn't planned the transfer was smooth with little cursing a few years back. As we grow up we're always told not to judge anything by it's cover - but to most of us it seems more effort is spent on making the interface "pretty" over better functionality. In truth most seem to be happier driving a slow beautiful car over a beater with the finest engine advancements that will save them time and money in the future.

Right now - well I'm warming slowly, ooo'ing and aww'ing at the pretty graphics, and cursing at how many times I have to give the okay to make minor changes to the system display properties, or to install minor items, or even update existing items.

Security is nice, but damn.

My other major catch is the lack of being able to adjust some of the default settings - the optics are eye pleasing but sometimes I feel like I slipped down the Mac hole. With the smooth velvet graphical interface and the way it sucks the resources out of my current system though I've started to call Vista the "Velvet Hammer". It's both smooth and stunning. . .

Who knows maybe this is a sign of things to come. When MacWindows is released and the only other OS available will be a flavor of Linux. I noticed that Freespire just released it 2.0 version which shows a lot of promise.

At this time I don't think my home machine will see any OS changes soon - - unless I find a Linux I like that is just as easy to install and run those little bits of software I love - - including World of Warcraft.

0 件のコメント: