木曜日, 10月 06, 2005

One v. Many

I was hoping to start this post off with a quote from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn about the needs of the many out weighing the needs of the few. . . or one, but never really found the one I was looking for.

But this issue is one that has come up on more than on occasion. In many ways it's the philosopher's question that no one has been able to give a set answer for. Because it all depends. I hate to say it but it's true.

Look at the games we play. The lives we lead. The people we come in contact with. In each case many would debate who/what is more important, the One person or the Many? There is no simple answer - nothing you will find on a Pop Tart lable.

It is only through preperation before the question is asked that we can truly answer. On the game side some use Chess, Capture the Flag, even Hide and Seek amoung others. However there are other deeper issues here that need to be identified - - to these many use Religion, meditation, and previous relationships to help in answer these questions.

In the end the answer is personal, but the results public.

I guessing the question we need to know the answer to is how will we handle the "The Kobayashi Maru scenario".



from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn

[Spock, having saved the ship, is dying]

Kirk: Spock.

Spock: Ship... out of danger?

Kirk: Yes.

Spock: Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh...

Kirk: ...the needs of the few.

Spock: ...Or the one. I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?

Kirk: Spock...

Spock: I have been and always shall be your friend.

[Holds up his hand in the Vulcan salute]

Spock: Live long and prosper.

However on the other side:

from Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Captain Spock: My father says that you have been my friend. You came back for me.

Kirk: You would have done the same for me.

Captain Spock: Why would you do this?

Kirk: Because the needs of the one... outweigh the needs of the many.

Captain Spock: [pacing] I have been and ever shall be your friend.

Kirk: Yes. Yes, Spock.

Captain Spock: Ship, out of danger?

Kirk: You saved the ship. You saved us all. Don't you remember?

Captain Spock: Jim. Your name is Jim.

Kirk: Yes.

0 件のコメント: