日曜日, 2月 18, 2007

Bundled and Gagged

It's scary how the world shifts sometimes. Even simple things are becoming more invasive.

Take for example software installs - -keep in mind I'm trying to avoid politics on this blog when possible - don't even want to go there :P

I remember installing things when I got my first computer, and then like now there was a lot of "next", "next", "finish" clicking. Honestly I can't remember the last time I read a EULA (End User Licence Agreement), as my goal was simply to install the software/driver and move on to the next thing to complete the task or start the game.

Additional software was still provided but I had to look for it on the disc or choose it out of a menu. The default kept the extra features hidden til I wanted/needed them.

Yet somewhere in the shuffle of mergers and binary dueling for information about me - which I can't understand why anyone would want it - even the most mundane of software packages is trying to provide me with little additional bits of code to "help" me do something I really don't want to do. If I really feel the need use a toolbar in my browser I'll find it and download it - and trust me in 99.9% of all cases ONE will be enough - in my case I like NONE even better :)

Installations can be rather scary any more for those who seek the Oracle in all their technology clicking, as the fear is great that with one click you have signed up for the free trial of (fill in software here) and it will start charging you in 30 days or less, unless you find some techno-mystic to purge your system, e-mail the company the paid to have the software created, write congress.

Which raises the question what sort of deal have companies pulled off to try and slip one toolbar on my computer with one product and a different toolbar with another - - I have to admit that at least I can un-check the box and avoid the install in most cases, but there are some that aren't so generous.

I work with supporting a lot of various computers and I'm always amazed that a folks can manage to get 3+ toolbars, multiple versions of spy ware or spy ware blockers (may or may not be the same company) and any number of other binary tid-bits on their computer but have yet to figure out how to get any other important software updates/service packs for their OS, Office, Browser, and in some cases Anti-Virus.

In the end, this search for simplicity is double edged though. As the easier installs become the more stuff can be slipped onto your hard drive by the tricksy programmer.

This doesn't bug me too much - training should help - but in the end until it takes a higher level of observation, the blessing of a clean un-install, and the power of the supreme hard drive format. All For the Love of Tech, and the delusional belief that ALL computer users back up their important data files :P

0 件のコメント: