火曜日, 8月 05, 2008

Touch (reprint)

I originally typed this up back in Aug, 2005 as a couple of posts on my first blog, before I went 'public' but the question came reoccurring and rather than type it all up again I thought I'd share it with the world this time. I've corrected some of the more blatant spelling errors and a couple of grammar bits, but that's about it:

[Part I]

"Depression does funny things to people, in some cases a good shot of introspection is nice to have but if not careful it will feed on itself and cause more depression.


In my case this round brought about the idea of touch - specifically human touch. How long has it been - or how long can a person go without human interaction of a positive nature?"

More on this thought later. . .

[Part II]


Anyway now where was I - - oh yeah, the importance of touch. During my last depression this one hit me like an epiphany from the blue.

Touch seems to be a built in part of the human psyche a validation of existence. Although it doesn't hit Maslow's top 4 countdown in a specific way (I lean toward self actualization but this could be argued either way) It does seem to give us a reason for sticking around.

I remember hearing of a study when I was in High School (man has it been that long - damn I am old) - sorry I digress- where they used an orphanage that seemed to have a large infant death rate. There was no employee acting as the 'Angel of Death' but mortality was not a high stat at this place. So in came the scientists. . . and what they found was quite interesting.

It seems that the infant children who had contact with another human for a certain amount of time each day did better - much better. They were healthier, ate more, and more active. Versus the other group which got little or no interaction. These poor souls pretty much just withered and died. With no appetite, they were lethargic, and well go figure not as healthy as the other group.

This ties into another theory I've been kicking around for a few years where we stick around on this earth as long as we have a reason to be here. Case in point when I was on Okinawa you would see these little old grandmas working in the field, they had something to stick around for and they mean to get the job done. Vs. The Senior Citizen in the old folks home that has no contact with anyone simply withers away with no reason to stick around in this reality.

--damn it I digressed again, gotta quit doing that--

So back to the touch thing. I got to thinking that infants only have so many ways to show how they feel hence the extreme nature of the study. Now jump forward 20+ years (no I'm not admitting my age yet :P) Due to how adults seem to naturally complicate things this lack of human touch in our lives could show it's self in a myriad of ways. In my case the occasional depression, and apathy defense mechanisms.


I had a communications instructor share this story about a friend of hers that just needed 'Cuddle Time'. While dating it wasn't so much about sex - although I got the impression some times it was, but more about making that connection with another human being. To find the validation that says, 'Hey maybe I'll stick around on this rock of a planet for a little while longer.'

So the question still remains: How long has it been - or how long can a person go without human interaction of a positive nature?

For me - I got to thinking after that question was typed and it had been weeks. Not counting the obligatory handshakes. :)"

0 件のコメント: